Summertime is notorious for beaches, baseball, and barbeques. In fact, more than 86% of U.S. households own at least one BBQ, grill, or smoker. However, with the nice weather and increase of grill usage, comes an increase in grill related injuries. Types of injuries associated with grills include burns, house fires, and even death. According to the National Fire Protection Association, there are more than 8,700 home fires that are started by grills each year, and more than 16,900 people sought treatment at an emergency room for injuries stemming from grill usage. Placing a grill to close to a home or object is typically the cause of house fires, while personal injury is related to lighting the grill. Overall, gas grills contribute to injuries in a higher percentage compared to charcoal grills, which is readily attributable to the frequency and easy of usage. Additionally, gas leaks from defective propane tanks poses a significant risk of injury. Notwithstanding, there are simple steps that people can take to significantly reduce (or maybe eliminate) the risk of sustaining an injury relating to summertime grill usage.
Here is a list of safety tips to follow to make sure your grilling experience this summer is safe:
- Always inspect the propane tank and gas lines before using a gas grill.
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it.
We have handled many explosion cases involving grills and are aware of the risks of unsafe usage. It is critically important for you, your family, and friends to make grill safety an important part of your outdoor summer activities. Play hard and play safe, my friends!
A civil trial attorney with the firm Wooten, Kimbrough, Damaso & Dennis, P.A., Mr. Damaso concentrates on cases involving personal injury and wrongful deaths and solely represents individual victims and consumers. He takes his clients' cases personally and is committed to their best possible outcome. His strong sense of community has led to his support of numerous charities in the Orlando area.