With the hurricane season well underway, the new law took effect July 1st, although there is a one-year grace period to incorporate the new standard into the state building code. The law was enacted primarily as the result of families who lost loved ones as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning due to generators being operated inside garages, or even the home itself. Public housing, new homes with a gas heater, gas appliances, or an attached garage are all required to have carbon monoxide detectors. These cost anywhere to $15.00 to $50.00 and are available in stores. Detectors should be included in all new homes but fire officials in Florida say that anyone with gas appliances should have a carbon monoxide detector.
Comments are closed.