With the Super Bowl coming up this weekend, it is of the upmost importance that you have a designated driver. Law enforcement will be on the lookout for impaired drivers, but the number of DUIs always seems to increase during the Super Bowl regardless. Be safe as you drive home, and keep an alert for other drunk drivers. Here are some Florida DUI statistics to keep in mind:
- There were 770 DUI deaths in Florida in 2009
- 79 of these fatal DUI’s involved victims under the age of 21
- 73% of the fatal DUI’s involve a driver whose blood alcohol content was higher than .15, or double the legal limit
- In 2009, there were 53,004 DUI arrests in Florida
- 269 of those arrested were under the age of 18
The Super Bowl is America’s biggest unofficial holiday.
“Police traditionally beef up enforcement in the hours surrounding the Super Bowl, when drunk drivers leaving bars and house parties are likely to be on the road,” reported the Washington Post.
So keep these numbers in mind this weekend to avoid a possible tragic car accident. Enjoy the Super Bowl and party responsibly!
Wooten, Kimbrough & Normand, P.A.—Orlando wrongful death attorneys.