The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

Many consumers wonder what insurance they should get to protect themselves if they get into a car accident. The types of insurance can be confusing. I will be discussing the basics of certain types of coverages in different entries. Contact me if you want more detailed information.

Bodily Injury Liability Coverage (BI Coverage). This coverage protects you from liability if someone else sustains a physical injury from a car accident caused by your operation of a motor vehicle or from someone else using your vehicle. Some states have minimum coverages others like Florida do not. If you do not have BI coverage you may be personally liable for the medical expenses, lost earnings and pain and suffering caused by your negligent operation of a motor vehicle. To protect yourself you need to buy BI coverage. Given the high cost of medical care and the severe injuries and death that can result from a car crash I recommend coverage of at least $100,000 per person, with a total of $300,000 per accident or at least $300,000 if you have single limit coverage. Remember if you do not have enough insurance then you can be held personally liable for damages that exceed your BI coverage. I also suggest, therefore, that you purchase an umbrella policy. An umbrella policy can protect you with over one million dollars in excess of your BI coverage. It can also protect you in boating accidents or other accidents. An Umbrella can only be purchased as excess coverage over your BI coverage and so the premiums are surprisingly low.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest