A North Florida pharmacist was fined $1,000 by the Florida State Pharmacy Board for the responsibility she had in the death of a 3 year-old boy. Edna Irizarry who processed a fatal dose of the amino acid arginine agreed to the fine as well as an the requirement that she take an eight-hour pharmacy class and reimburse the Board for the investigative costs of $2,460.
The young boy died in October 2007 after Shands Medical Outpatient Pharmacy gave him a dose of the amino acid that was more than 10 times the prescribed dose. However, the Board did not feel that Irizarry had full responsibilty for the error and resulting death, but that it was a “system breakdown.”
The parents of the young boy, Luisa and Horst Ferrero, were disappointed that the Board did not postpone this disciplinary action until the October meeting. They were able to attend because she had just given birth, but felt the Board should have waited until those most affected by this wrong-doing could speak at the disciplinary hearing.
The Ferreros had previously settled with Shands Healthcare for their part in the young boys death and received $850,000. With that settlement the Ferreros plan to fund a children’s hospital in Gainesville.