Electronic Cigarette Explodes in Man’s Mouth
Council WootenFebruary 27, 2012 9:02 AM
(866) 735-1102 Ext 338
An exploding “electronic cigarette” severely injured a Florida man recently when it blew up in his mouth, according to sources. Electronic cigarettes are tobacco-free devices designed to help smokers kick their habit. It simulates cigarette smoke with a heated mist that has the sensation and flavor of cigarettes.
Tim Holloway, 57, of Niceville, Florida was using the electronic cigarette at his home when it exploded in his mouth, according to North Bay Fire Chief Joseph Parker. It knocked out several of his teeth, took a chunk out of his tongue and severely burned his face.
“The best analogy is like it was trying to hold a bottle rocket in your mouth when it went off,” said Parker. “The battery flew out of the tube and set the closet on fire.”
Investigators do not yet know the brand of the electronic cigarettes, or what type of battery was in it. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issues a warning on these electronic cigarettes warning that they can be addictive or contain harmful chemicals, but nothing about them exploding. This is the first documented incident with these devices, but considering the risk, maybe these companies need to look into whether or not this could happen again. If there is a chance these defective products may injure more people, the manufacturers must take action.
Wooten, Kimbrough & Normand, P.A.—Orlando personal injury attorneys.